Today was another meatless day. I did not intentionally set out for it to be that way it just happened. I have been contemplating this recipe for some time now (like 2 weeks?) but it never seemed like the right time to make it. Today though I thought it was time!
Coconut Broccoli Stir Fry
1) Spray a skillet with non-stick spray and add 1 TBSP Tamari (if you don't have this special soy sauce just use regular). Add 1 pkg tofu, drained and cubed. Coat tofu with Tamari and cook until all sides are browned, then remove tofu to a plate.
2) In the same pan add 1/4 cup water and 1 package broccoli florets. Cover and cook until broccoli is tender.
3) Add 1/2 cup of coconut milk and 1 tbsp brown sugar to the pan. Stir around, and then add tofu to the pan. Let simmer for a bit to reduce.
4) Serve over a bed of rice (it doesn't matter what kind of rice you use, but if you use sticky rice it should soak up the liquid better; the liquid is yummy btw!)
Today I had the day off. I had an appointment with the therapist and then I went to Fayetteville Technical Community College to register for Yoga and Beginning Pottery (fun stuff!!) After that I decided to go to A.C. Moore - my new favorite crafty place. Right across the street is Pier 1 Imports so I thought I would stop by to see if they had anything cute. I got this plate:
It was on clearance! Originally 30$ I got it for $7.50! Can you believe it? My kitchen is pepper themed so it was perfect. Doesn't my table look cute with the plate as a center piece? Its perfect to put fruit on!
I also go two small pepper plates (not in the photo!) and 2 small bowls that look like flowers. All for only 15$ what a fun shopping experience!
Well that is all the fun stuff I did today. I did, however, make a new recipe for dinner! I was trying to use the left over ricotta cheese from the cheesy spinach pasta and also use up some Swiss chard that was in the fridge. I looked on Eipcurious for those two ingredients and found a great recipe that uses polenta as well. I recently purchased some polenta but really did not have a clue as to how I was going to use it. Anyways, I present to you:
Baked Polenta w/ Swiss Chard, Cheese and Jalapeno!
1) Saute 1 onion in a large skillet until tender. Add 1 chopped garlic clove, 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper, and 1 seeded and chopped jalapeno (2 if they are small.) Next, add 1/2 lb Swiss Chard (ribs removed; leaves sliced 1/2 inch thick) and cover with lid.
2) In a sauce pan boil 1 3/4 cup water. Once boiling add 1/2 cup polenta (coarse cornmeal), a little at a time, continually stirring. Once polenta is thick, remove from heat.
3) In a bowl whisk together 1/2 cup ricotta cheese and 1 egg.
4) Add cheese and egg mixture to polenta in the sauce pan and stir.
5) Layer a baking dish with 1/2 of the polenta, 1/2 of the chard, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and then repeat the layers.
6) Bake a 350 for about 30 min.
This recipe makes 4 servings at about 260 calories a piece. You can just double everything if you need more servings; if you double it cook time will be about 40-45 min. I didn't get a picture of this because it would not cooperate and come out of the pan looking pretty. It did taste good though!