FoodToday I made 2 new recipes & both are clean. First up was a pineapple protein cookie that is said to be "a sweet energy-boosting treat!"
Protein-packed Cookies - A clean cookie
1) Pre-heat oven to 350 and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2) Combine the following in a bowl: 1 cup whole grain flour, 1 cup wheat bran (I used wheat germ), 1 cup vanilla protein powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda. Stir it up.
3) In a small bowl combine 1 tbsp pineapple juice with 1/3 cut sucanat (this is optional....you can also use splenda or whatever type of sugar you have - but sucanat is a clean option).
4) Add these ingredients to the dry ingredients: 1 cup unsweetened applesauce, 1 tsp pure vanilla extract, 1 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple (or an 8 oz can crushed pineapple.) Mix everything together.
5) Add juice & sugar mixture to the batter and stir but do not over stir.
6) Place small ("walnut sized") amounts of the dough on to the cookie sheet and bake until golden brown.
7) Allow a few min to cool and then eat.
This cookie was ok - not outstanding, but not terrible. Probably would have been better if I had used the wheat bran instead of wheat germ, and baking soda instead of baking powder (oops! hehe I just realized I did that when I was typing up the recipe for you guys!) This will probably also taste better if you sub sugar for the sucanat but then its not clean - but hey, its your choice.
Before I tell you about this next recipe I have a confession. This next recipe contains dates. I have wanted to try dates for quite a long time now, but they really and truly remind me of cockroaches so I don't have any desire to just eat one, however in a recipe I am all for it!! Ok, yeah I know I am crazy...oh well. This recipe is good by the way.
Balls of Energy - Another Clean Snack
1) In a food processor (or blender if you have a good one - a cheap one will probably die if you try to use it for this) combine 28 dates and 1/2 cup water. Blend until combined.
2) If you have a food processor then continue to add these ingredients to the food processor one at a time blending until smooth. Otherwise, put date/water mixture into a bowl and add the following ingredients one at a time and stir with a spoon until combined (a good arm workout!)
3) Ingredients to add one at a time: 1/3 cup natural peanut butter, 1 cup whey protein powder (add as 1/2 cups), 1/4 cup unsweetened, non-dutched (unprocessed) cocoa powder, 1/4 cup ground flax seed, 1 tsp cinnamon.
4) Place dough in fridge for several hours to make it easier to work with. When dough is ready make golf-ball sized portions. If it sticks to your hand you can spray your hand with non-stick spray. Roll each ball into crushed walnuts or almonds.
Aprox. 200-250 calories per 4 energy balls. 2 is good for pre-workout; 4 for post-workout. I did not eat one of these yet but I tasted the dough and man these things are going to be good!! I even scraped the bowl clean and ate all that was left hehe.
AEDM/NaNoJouMo day number 7 - I cant belive its been a whole week already! I am so glad I decided to do these challenges. Even if I only do a teeny bit of art each day its nice to do something creative. So, cooking (see above) counts as my something creative, but this morning I did do some art this morning. I water colored a bit:
And I made this post card:
I also worked on a few backgrounds that I did not take a picture of. Maybe you will see them later this month if I do anything else to them.
YogaToday I went to a restorative yoga workshop. It was very interesting - my first time to ever do restorative yoga. We used a lot of props. Usually I just use a blanket for under my knees and blocks for when I am not flexible enough to reach the ground, but today we used bolsters, straps, blocks, and multiple blankets for each pose. The most interesting part was that the teacher was reading a prompt to us for a guided mediation and I relaxed so much that I zone out and didn't hear her for like 70% of the prompt - but somehow I did hear her again when it was time for us to move out of that pose and into another. That happened twice. If you are interested in learning more about restorative yoga you can check out these web pages: http://www.yogajournal.com/basics/991, and http://www.restorative-yoga.net/. I am really hoping I can get my mom to go to a restorative yoga class or gentle yoga class when I go home for the holidays.
Speaking of the holidays, guess what I did tonight. No ideas? I started bringing in all the Christmas decorations from the garage to the front room where I am going to put the tree. I am all about Thanksgiving, but I won't be here for Thanksgiving, and I won't be here that much for Christmas either so I think I am going to decorate for Christmas early. I LOVE Christmas decorations - they make me happy. So, I figure why not. Not hurting anyone and its my house, I can do what I want!!
Ok friends, its been a busy weekend and I really want to just relax and watch a TV show before bed time! So, goodnight and I will "see" you tomorrow!!